Suspension – In a letter released by the Management of Obafemi Awolowo University, signed by the registrar, Dotun Awoyemi, the management stated the following as reasons why the suspension was necessary;
- President’s supporters beating up the Speaker on June 29 and 30,2017.
- Speaker’s Supporters beating up the President on September 15, 2017.
- Fighting between the Vice-President and Director of Socials in which head butts and stabbed with broken bottles recorded at the meeting of Union Executives on September 5, 2017.
- Vandalization of NURTW vehicles on October 6, 2017
- Forceful release of Students under investigation from Police custody on October 6, 2017
- Arrant dispensing of rumors of fees increase and fabricated threats of invasion by cultists in order to deceive and falsely gain acceptance amongst the student’s populace to precipitate crisis, capable of disrupting the academic activities of the university
- Conveyance of Conflicting meetings by the Executive and the legislature with resultant open confrontation and violence; and
- Recent serious fighting and open fracas at the meetings of the Union ( in one of which the President of the Students Union was physically assaulted on November 1, 2017) and which, if not promptly addressed, could lead to fatal consequences.
The management has also promised to punish any Student who attempts to go against the school regulations to allow for a stable academic calendar.